Saturday, January 19, 2008

When things don't go as planned

I had an amazing Friday evening with some great friends. I had 4, yes 4!, separate invites to go out. Each with a different set of friends. There is NO way I would have ever imagined this a few months ago. I decided to hit up the Frist Museum because it was free Friday to see the Aaron Douglas exhibit. The Fisk Jubilee Singers were also performing, but it was too packed and we couldn't get in. I also checked out Societe Anonyme Inc. Exhibit. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would have enjoyed a modern art exhibit, the answer probably would have been maybe. I love it now. I guess I can thank the ex for that.

After the museum we decided on an Italian place for dinner that we had all never been too. I am pretty picky about my Italian, and basically nothing will ever top Italian food in Italy. The waitress made some assumptions and comments about us that totally through the mood for a bit, but we were able to recover and at one point I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. I decided on a creamy presto and tomato sauce on whole wheat penne with sausage. I ended up eating the whole plate and 3 pieces of bread. I should have only had one piece of bread and half the pasta. I also had my first drink of the new year, a glass of red wine. Oh and we had ginger biscotti that was heavenly.

After dinner we headed to a bar and I had a Hoegarden. So one beer isn't that bad. Of course the conversation was great and I had a really good time.

Exercise for yesterday consisted of walking on the treadmill for an hour.

Today I got up a little before 8 and was at the gym by about 8:40 in order to make up for my pasta indulgence. I did my weights for 45 minutes and the arc trainer for 45 minutes. I then waited for about 15-20 minutes for the treadclimber because I like it that much. I hope more people don't start to realize how great a machine it is :)

The rest of the day was a lazy day. I came home and made a salad of mixed greens, mandarin oranges, black beans, crasains, and honey mustard dressing. I buy actual honey mustard and it has a lot fewer calories. I took a nap, did some laundry and made dinner. Dinner consisted of sauted bok choy, stewed tomatoes, and whole wheat pasta. Yummy! I made one serving of pasta and the veggies. It was so much I had to split it into 2 servings. Now I have leftovers for tomorrow or Monday.

Tonight I am going out with some grad school friends. We are going to this country/hip hop bar. I have been there once before and it is quite the experience. Hopefully I will have pictures to prove it.

Have a great night!

4 comments:

Blossom said...

Yes, but did the beer come in the traditional Hoegarten glass?? Hm.... ;-)

lainb said...

I've been wanting to try the treadclimber! It looks good & challenging...how long do you usually spend on it (the commercial claims "just 30 minutes")?

Anonymous said...

country/hiphop??? i'm going to be in minneapolis after may 15... and fly to california later that week.

(hoegaarden)

Anonymous said...

Great workout!
My weakness is keeping portions under control when I eat out. It is difficult I tell you, especially when the food and company are good. All I can do like you is compensate for the indulgence the next days.