Friday, February 15, 2008

Compliments can go a long way

I received two compliments today telling me that I looked great (and looked skinny). Now a long time ago I would have not taken this as a compliment at all. I immediately would have thought, "Thanks, so you are telling me I look great now, what did I look like before" and "Oh so I am looking skinny now, I must have looked fat before." Now I am able to except the compliment and move on. I have been working really hard this week and the weeks prior to my cruise and I feel like people have noticed! People who I haven't seen since Christmas noticed I have been working hard. It made me smile and feel good. I need to remember that moment the next time I am feeling down about myself.

Last night I didn't end up going out with my friends. We decided we didn't want to deal with the mess that is downtown and grabbing dinner together probably wouldn't be the best idea. So I stayed home. I wasn't anti-social. I was pro-me. I watched a few episodes of Flight of the Conchords, had my favorite breakfast for dinner of oatmeal with crasains, and worked on transcribing notes from an interview I did for the case study I am writing. I also worked on questions and research for the meeting I had this morning for the case study. About the case study, I had a little freak out at the gym yesterday as I was reading samples of past case studies, including a case study written by my professor and another grad student which just won entrepreneurial case study of the year. I thought I totally wasn't qualified to be writing one of these things. Then I realized that my professor asked me to do this. He obviously thought I was capable of researching and writing one of these bad boys. (Take that Informations Systems Management Biznatch who told me I couldn't write!) So a little bit of the stress went away. Now I just need to get my but in gear.

Yesterday I also got a Valentine's Day package from my mom. She sent me a lovely Vera Bradley laptop case. Some hair straightening product. Some red lips with 1 regular sized package of kissables and a heart shaped tin with 3 snack size packages of M&M's. She also sent a book of Small Italian towns and a magazine. A pretty awesome package if I do say so myself. The perfect mix of goodies.

Tonight I am getting dinner with friends at a TBD location. Tomorrow I am going shopping and hopefully buying my Steeplechase dress at Anthropologie. I just haven't had time to go try it on. They still have it online so if all else fails, I can guess my size. I need to hang out with my little tomorrow evening. I also need to get a manicure at some point during the weekend too. I have a group meeting on Sunday so I need to prepare for that. So add homework to the to do list as well.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Lex said...

That's fantastic that you're able to accept the compliment and move on and not look for reasons to void the compliment.
you definitely need to keep that memory whenever you are having a not-so-hot day.

flight of the conchords is AWESOME!! It's nice to have chillaxin nights like that once in
a while.

Your mom sounds like such a cutie - what a nice package she sent

The Price's Wife said...

Dude- I don't see laundry on your list so I will totally TRADE you to-do lists! Deal? :)

anna said...

accepting compliments is hard for a lot of people. you should be used to it by now, no?

awesome V-day package! ilove care packages and now i'm missing being in college because i haven't gotten a care package in YEARS!