Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day!

Last night I was busy playing around with my new apple laptop to even worry about dinner =) Around 8 PM I decided I better eat something. So, I decided on roasted potatoes and a bean salad. When I lived in Italy, my favorite restaurant served these really yummy roasted potatoes with rosemary. They also fried them. I make my own version which I find equally as yummy. I cut up four red potatoes (I made enough for my roomie) and put them in a zip lock bag with rosemary and sea salt making sure they were coated. I think put them on a foil lined pan and baked at 425 until golden brown. I had forgotten how yummy they were. My roommate liked them too! The bean salad is super simple and I would have added more flavors, but I wasn't sure if my roommate would like them. I just took a can of green beans, yellow beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans and mixed them all together with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a little salt and pepper.

For desert we had what is becoming one of my favorite deserts, and ice cream "cake". It isn't the healthiest, but I have found that if I cut myself a small piece of the cake I eat way less ice cream then if I was dishing myself out a bowl of it. It is made in a 9x13 pan with an an oreo cookie crust. Then a rectangular 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt (take your pick) is sliced and put in the pan to create the ice cream layer. Next chopped peanuts are put on top of the ice cream layer. Finally, a layer of fudge is poured over the nuts. It is so YUMMMY!

Lunch today was nothing exciting. My stomach has not really been feeling to well this morning. I had a busy morning and didn't have a chance to eat anything until almost 11. I just had some dry cheerios. For lunch just a pretty plain salad and leftover bean salad. On tap for a snack is either pistachios or strawberries or both.

I am having Mexican for dinner tonight!

I just wanted to thank all of those who read my blog. I have found some amazing blogs over the past few months and I really need to update my links of those that I read. Thank you all for your support and the amazing source motivation you are to me.

2 comments:

lainb said...

oooooo...I used to have that oreo "cake" in high school and haven't had it in years!! yummers!

Speaking of - Hungry Girl had a lower fat recipe today.
Ingredients:
4 packs 100 Calorie Packs Oreo Thin Crisps
3 cups light vanilla soymilk
1/2 a small (4-serving) pkg. JELL-O Sugar Free Fat Free Cook & Serve pudding mix; Vanilla
1 envelope unflavored Knox Gelatin
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Free
2 tbsp. sugar-free chocolate syrup

Directions:
Stir pudding mix into soymilk in a medium-large saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a full boil. In a large mixing bowl, combine soymilk mixture with gelatin and whisk continuously for at least 5 minutes (until gelatin is completely dissolved). Place dish in the fridge for about 45 - 60 minutes, until chilled and partially set. Meanwhile, take 1 and 1/2 packs of the cookies and process in a blender or food processor until reduced to fine crumbs (or place them in a sealable plastic bag and crush through the bag with a rolling pin; less clean up!). Place crumbs in a 9" pie dish, and use your hands to spread crumbs along the bottom to cover. Take remaining 1/2 pack of cookies along with 3rd pack and break into pieces; set aside. Once mixture in fridge is ready, stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of the Cool Whip (a wire whisk works wonders) until thoroughly mixed. Next gently stir cookie pieces into the mix. Carefully pour mixture into pie dish and spread evenly on top of crumbs. Return to fridge until set (3 hours or overnight). Once ready to serve, break 4th pack of cookies into small pieces. Spread 1/2 cup Cool Whip over pie and sprinkle cookie pieces on top. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and prepare to get cookies 'n cream crazy! Serves 8!

Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories: 115
Fat: 1.75g
Sodium: 175mg
Carbs: 20.5g
Fiber: 0.5g
Sugars: 8.5g
Protein: 3.75g

* 2 Points

Krissie said...

Here's another (sinful) but amazing dessert.
Take a box of ice cream sandwiches. Place them in a single layer to fit the bottom of 9x13 pan (cutting as necessary). Cover with Cool Whip. Drizzle with ice cream topping (I love Magic Shell). Refreeze and enjoy!
I guess you could use low fat sandwiches, and Cool Whip free and it wouldn't be that terrible...although I wouldn't be good at portion control.
I really enjoy reading your blog.
Have a great Wednesday!