Sunday, December 04, 2011

Race Recap: Rudolph's Red Nose 5k Run Nashville, TN 12/2/11

On Friday I rushed home from work to change clothes to run in a night 5k. There aren't very many evening 5k's so it is kind of a fun change. I ran this race in 2009 and it was my 4th or so 5k. I just remember it being really cold. It's been pretty warm in Nashville and Friday was no exception. Pretty warm to me is at least in the 50's. With weather in the 50's that is short/capri and t-shirt running weather. However, when I got home I had a different idea.

My friend Steve had told me he was going to wear his old Santa Suit (Yes, old as in he got a new one. My friends and I take Santa outfits pretty seriously...) for the race. He was also trying to get a new PR from a few weeks ago. I decided to wear my old Santa robe from Santa Rampage last year and also convinced my roommate. I knew the outfit wouldn't be ideal for running, but it wasn't like I was trying to run this race for a PR. I know better. I am seriously out of my top running shape.

And here we are before the race

IMG_0118

SO. MUCH. FUN.

This year the weather was great. There appeared to be more costumes and there were definitely more people of all running abilities. I decided I was actually going to attempt to run somewhat fast in this outfit and see what happened. Overall, I am quite please. 25:10 and 5th in my age group. Congrats to my friend and running buddy Erica who got a new PR! I accomplished my goal of doing better than I did in 2009. I shaved off about 3 minutes!

Picture 1

After I finished I grabbed some water and went off to find Steve and Jenny. I found this with about 3/4 of a mile left and ran/walked the rest of the race with them. I am so incredibly proud of Steve who took more than 5 minutes off his 5k time from a few weeks ago and as of Friday has lost almost 40 lbs!

After I crossed the finish line for the second time a lady came up to me and asked me if I had been the East Nasty of the Week. I told her I had been. She told me that she did the East Nasty Couch to 5k in the winter and remembered me talking about weight loss. Since then she has lost 50 lbs and will be running her first half marathon in January at the Disney Princess Half. It was also her 49th birthday on Friday. I am so glad she came up and said hi to me. Talking about weight loss in public can be a little intimidating, but knowing that one person has made a change is awesome!


1 comment:

esther said...

GO STEVE!