Friday, October 07, 2011

Race Recap: Shelby Bottoms Boogie 15k 10/1/11

After my super late night at the DJ Earworm show I got quick 4 hours of sleep and was up again for the Shelby Bottoms Boogie. I ran this race last year and really enjoyed it. It fit perfectly into my training schedule and it is a nice flat course. I woke up not super well rested and to a dead Garmin. So much for trying to keep a 9:10 minute pace.

I run most runs with my Garmin. I like to know my pace and very rarely do I alter my pace when running or training. I mainly use it for races. So I was a little bummed not to have it since it was my last longish run before the marathon. My game plan changed from 9:10/mile to focus on how I felt.

I went out a little too fast, but back off a little bit. The course is an out and back with a loop at the end. I didn't take any liquids during this run and during the last 1.5 miles I wish I would have. I had a gu around mile 6 with no liquid. I do not recommend this! 

Since I didn't have my watch I had no clue what my paces was. When I crossed the finish I new I was in the 1:23:00 range.

My final time for 9.3 miles: 1:22:42 which is a 8:54/mile pace. Last year 1:23:43. I remember last year being so hard and this year the run was much more effortless.

My Chicago Marathon training buddy Bernadette and I just after we boogied
skb_bd

No comments: