Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Humidity please go away

Today was the first day of training for my 5k. I was split into the more experienced group. Ha! It was also ridiculously humid at 5 AM. The exercises they had us doing weren't anything unbearable, it was just the humidity. Oh. My. God. The humidity. My entire shirt was drenched in sweat. Fall hurry, please get here ASAP.

Yesterday I went out to lunch with my co-workers. I vetoed Mexican flat out. I said I wouldn't go and just stay and eat my salad. It's not that I don't have any self control, it's just I feel sick every time I eat there. So we went to a chicken place instead. I got a salad with grilled chicken. The waitress even commented that I was being "good". Later in the afternoon a co-worker came into my office and cried. She has gained 50 lbs in the past 7 years. She used to be a college athlete, but doesn't exercise and eats crap now. I offered suggestions and support for like the gazillionth time, but I have a feeling it is going to be like all the other times. I am not sure, but something just has to click to make conscious change about diet and exercise. It all clicked for me (but I occasionally still stumble). Weighing 303 at age 21 certainly got me going.

Did any of you guys have an ah ha moment where everything just clicked?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah--at the beginning of '07 when I realized that I had to go at this weight-loss thing (and everything else) from a viewpoint of self-care instead of self-control. That changed EVERYTHING for me over time. It revolutionized my whole life, including weight loss, of course.