Monday, October 22, 2007

The Body Mass Index

I am pretty sure we have all heard of the body mass index. According to the Wikipedia page it was invented between 1830 and 1850. An individual's BMI should be between 18-25. According to the BMI I am overweight. I am 6ft tall and around 195 right now. That puts me at about 7 lbs overweight.

Do I really look overweight here? You don't need to answer!
DSC02918.jpg

My friend M (love you girl and I am SO proud of you), posted this link on her blog about a photo essay on flickr depicting various pictures of people, their height, weight, and BMI. It's amazing to look at who is overweight, underweight, obese, and average. I highly suggest you take a look here and look through all 111 pictures, not just the ones at the beginning.

7 comments:

Shayna said...

you definitely don't look overweight in my eyes. i think you look hott. yes, with two t's.

Blossom said...

I'm not sure those formulas really work for everyone. You don't look overweight at all! Since you're so tall you can carry some "extra weight" (at least, extra weight according to "them"!).

Nikki said...

Girl - you are FAR from overweight. You look absolutely amazing.

I'll see you in less than two weeks! Have a FANTASTIC trip!

Jenn said...

I think you look great! I don't like the BMI.

Why doesn't it differentiate between men and women? My husband and I are nearly the same height, and while I might look healthy at 189 (the highest weight to be considered normal at my height), he wouldn't look nearly as good.

Anonymous said...

No, you look great!

That was really interesting. The majority of the "overweight" people looked good..I'd more so call them Average. The people who were "obese" I'd say they were overweight...and sometimes in the slightest.

No wonder we beat ourselves up and get discouraged....if that's how the BMIs work out to be??

HOw did she get all of those peoples pics and weights?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm still technically obese, which is freaking insane.

BMI was created by a life insurance company that decided its rates partly based on weight. So of COURSE it's skewed to say people are fat when they aren't.

M said...

You look smokin hot - its so easy to get fixated on a number- I keep changing my "goal" weight because its a number- I may look like crap at that number. BMI is a fancier version of that ;)

love you too!