Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Welcome Distraction


Sometimes things go as planned and other times they don't. I had no clue there was a Crossroads taping until two weeks ago or so when I was told about it. And told I would get a ticket. I may have been told this before recently and it didn't pan out. I wasn't holding my breath. But show day came and my name was on the list. I was going to see The Avett Brothers and Randy Travis.

The Avett Brothers are one of those bands I've seen a few times. A few being more than five. I have seen them in quite a few different types of venues and know they do their best in more intimate settings.  Randy Travis, now I've never seen him. But I am familiar with his music. I knew he had been in a little bit of trouble with the law recently, but didn't know to what extent. I looked it up while at the show and was pretty shocked. Randy Travis is going through some hard times. At the show he just made some really, really awkward jokes. I imagine we would all make awkward jokes if only two months ago we had been arrested for a string of alcohol related incidents. The songs that had to be redone were mainly because of him. It became clear that Randy Travis didn't know the Avett Brother's songs as well as they knew his.

I called my mom after the show to tell her who I had just seen perform. Her first question was "was he naked?".  We laughed for a few seconds and then the next thing she told me, "I've been praying for him." My mom is just a good person. When most people are making fun of a celebrity down on their luck, my mom goes and prays for them.

The Avett Brothers performed Murder in the City last night. I had almost forgotten about the song. And was so glad to be reminded of it last night.

Mom, I sure am glad we share our last name.

Make sure my sister knows I loved her
Make sure my mother knows the same
Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name
Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name

I needed last night more than I knew. My mind has been racing this entire week from nerves, or excitement as my dad calls it. I leave tomorrow for Washington DC. And I have no clue what the weather will hold on Sunday. It looks like I might be running my second marathon in the rain. But, I am throwing this out there. My goal is to finish as close to 4 hours as possible.

The Avett's Performing Murder in the City on the Conan show (a slightly different version)




No comments: